Here at Loft Style Properties we want to ensure that landlords, new or experienced, are provided with all of the information needed in being a landlord.
Here are a few hints and tips to help you in the process:
1) Will you have a main point of contact? 2) What are their fees and are there additional fees to be aware of? 3)What do they think is the most achievable rent for your property? 4)What tenancy deposit scheme do they use?5)Do they have advice on how to make your property more appealing?
- Choosing the right agent for you is important so be sure to ask the agent:
- It is essential that before you begin the process the correct insurance for Building, Public Liability and Rent Guard is in place and that it is valid for the duration of the tenancy term.
- A tenant application must be kept up to date, within the last 3 years, which includes their date of birth, National Insurance number and their Next of Kin details. Additional documents such as copies of a proof of identity (drivers license, passport, birth certificate etc.) will also be helpful.
- Reference checks on the tenant/s are vital. These will highlight any CCJ’s (County Court Judgment) and will confirm details that the tenant has provided in their application.
- Once you are in the process of your new tenants moving in, do not provide them with the keys until an agreement has been signed, the first month/week rent has been paid in advance and a security deposit has been deposited.
- When carrying out an inventory, make sure to take photos too. Print them out and get the tenant to sign them. Provide the tenants a copy of the inventory also.